Instagram is a social media application that has a worldwide user base of around 100 million users. It’s an app trending in these days and allows one to share their photos instantly with their friends or public, and post it on any connected/linked social networking site e.g. Facebook, Twitter.
As an added layer of security, Instagram uses 2-step verfication methods for it’s security but with great security features comes the scope of security vulnerabilities too. For the same reasons, finding and patching any possible Instagram security loophole on a trending 100 million users based application is certainly a daunting task. In order to ensure a safe and secured experience for Instagram users, the Instagram security team works on security verification 24/7 to solve any particular problem that needs immediate solution.
In this cycle of maintaining Instagram account security, it is often the main part of the user who has to ensure whether the application is safe for use or not.
So let’s take a look at how you need to secure your Instagram Account –
Increasing Your Instagram Protection + Securing Your Instagram Account
These are some quick tips that one must follow to ensure that one’s Instagram account follows the correct security protocols.
1. You must make sure that the primary email account you are using is actually safe. Most of the attacks are triggered by getting into the primary accounts and then hacking all the social media accounts linked to it. Use a 2-step verification method for logging in to these primary accounts.
If you’re using Gmail as your primary email then it is advisable to setup 2-Step Verification.
2. Pick a strong password. Instagram recommends using a combination of at least six numbers, letters, and other symbols or punctuation marks (e.g. ! or . etc.)
Also, never share your password with anybody you don’t know or trust.
3. Always give a second thought before you move to clicking on ‘Allow Control’ while using any third party application or game.
4. Never forget to log out of your account when you use a computer or a device you share with other people.
5. Stay cautious and do monitor your account. Observe for any changes or unusual activities with your account.
In case you happen to start receiving inappropriate comments on your photos at Instagram from people you don’t even know, it’s high time you need to switch to Private and stop using your profile in Public mode. A Private mode ensures maximum security for your personal photos and information. Or, report to the concerned authorities at Instagram about any spamming complaints or unusual activities. Also see to it there aren’t any people in your account who are unknown to you.
6. There are some short URLs that are spread over the web and one never comes to know about the content in the URL. Use a short URL checker to see the link contents before you actually click on that. The link might have a malware or a stealer attached at the landing page. To check the links, use ShortURLChecker.
So, since your security is in your hands, you should always stay cautious and monitor things in your account.
Though following above tips can surely help you keeping your Instagram account secure.
Stay Safe and Secured!